Friday 2 October 2009

MacBook disc crash (and restore)

Well my MacBook's disc decided to die the other week but thanks to Time Machine I had most of my stuff safe (apart from my other two partitions on my triple boot setup ;) - But I hadn't booted into 'em in a while so there can't have had anything tooo serious lost there - I think I'm going to just use VMware/Parallels/VirtualBox from now on...).

Of course I'd been using my TC with encrypted backups so when I attempted a restore using a new Snow Leopard DVD it couldn't find the backups... Oh dang! Luckily there is another way - I upgraded the default Tiger install to shiney new Snow Leopard and then fired off the Migration Assistant (from the another Admin account on the machine - you should not create your original user account with the same name as the one in your backup as it will clash - so just use another [admin] login and once you've run the Migration Assistant it will recreate your old account).

No comments:

Post a Comment