Thursday, 22 April 2010

Fixing Apple iTunes sync AppleMobileSync crash

I just updated my Windows Vista machine and after rebooting I tried syncing my iPhone and iTunes 9.1 started complaining that AppleMobileSync.exe (and some Yahoo sync crap) was crashing WTF?!

I looked into it and when I attempted to run AppleMobileSync.exe from its working directory (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\SyncServices\Clients\com.apple.MobileSync) it complained that it couldn't find objc.dll - but a quick search found it here: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support", so I added that dir to my path, then it complained that DeviceLink.dll was missing - I found that here: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support" so I added that dir to my path as well - It now worked! But to get it fixed for automatic syncing I had to go into System control panel -> Advanced system settings -> Environment variables - then select the System PATH and add the two above directories to the end of the PATH (separated by ';'). BTW I did try registering the objc.dll using regsvr32 but objc.dll doesn't contain the appropriate entry points for regsvr.

Not sure why it happened and it shouldn't really need path updates but it fixes it for now...

1 comment: