- The problem and fix are incredibly created using Mobile Word ??!!** - when saving docs as plain text files - so beware. Here's the proceedure cribbed from the the link above (in case it disappears):
- 1) soft reset device
2) Start / Office Mobile / Word
3) Create a new document (click on New)
4) type some text (just plain text - no formatting - it was 'plain text document') just a few characters
5) File / Save As...
6) I have selected type 'Plain Text'
7) It asked me whether I want to save it at 'Word document instead' - I clicked No.
8) I have powered off the device and did soft reset
9) Start file explorer, find the file (it was in My Device / My Documents), click on it - it opens Word again.
10) Add some formatting (I have selected part of text and changed font to bold)
11) Close Word - it asked whether to save it in Word format - this time I said Yes
12) Power-off the device and press soft reset again
As to why this works is anyone's guess... I did take the trouble to dump my security registry keys (HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies) before I performed the magical fix but I found no difference in those key values before and afterwards.... But there seems to be a mountain of security related controls in Windows Mobile - see MSDN's Security Policy settings, Provisioning Security Settings - I'm sure somewhere in there is the answer....